Sunday, July 10, 2005

Who says that?????

If you haven't been to camp, I will give you a bit of a background on working at camp. At the beginning of every season, we spend a week training our staff on how to work with children, what the camp culture is all about and things NOT to say to children. It sounds harsh, but we do work at camp for the children, and they don't really want to know about our personal lives, our personal views on the world, or our political views. They want to feel safe and secure with their counselors, and comfortable talking to them, without having to worry about their counselors oversharing personal information. Are you following me so far?

Yesterday morning, jumping out of bed, I hurt my foot and had to go see the doctor to make sure I hadn't broken toes (don't worry mom, I am okay) I thought that would be the only bad thing that was going to happen all day, I try to keep bad things to a minimum in a day, there is only so much that I can handle...

However while I was at the doctor.... at breakfast, one of my counselors decides that she is sick of hiding her personal stuff, and decides to share with a group of 12 and 13 year old girls that she is a lesbian. No girl that age would know what to do with that information. Then she starts talking about how she is still going to marry a man because that will make her parents happy. Then of course, she ventures into politics too.....

So... my entire day was then spend trying to calm down 21 campers, dealing with my 4 staff who were freaking out because the girls were freaking out, getting the counselor moved out of the bunk, getting a new one moved in, and cancelling my New York trip that I was supposed to be taking last night.

I have no problem with her being whatever she is, or having whatever political views she has, but that is why we spend that week at the beginning of camp making sure that these counselors don't say stuff like that to the kids. The poor girls were so freaked out. Oy.

So I didn't get my night off last night, but I did get my day today, a nice relaxing day, and tomorrow I am off to the Berkshires with my girls for three days... I am sure I will have more stories when I get back...

Thats all for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home