Sunday, July 23, 2006

I need help finding this song.

The song is called My Zaide and was recorded at some point by a guy named Moshe Yes. If anyone has a copy of it, PLEASE let me know. It doesn't need to be a recording by him, one by anyone would do. The Lyrics are below.

Thank you.

My Zaide

My Zaide lived with us in my parents’ home,
He used to laugh, he put me on his knee.
And he spoke about his life in Poland,
He spoke, but with a bitter memory.

And he spoke about the soldiers who would beat him;
They laughed at him, they tore his long black coat.
And he spoke about a synagogue that they burned down one day,
And the crying that was heard beneath the smoke.

Chorus:
But Zaide made us laugh,
Zeide made us sing,
And Zeide made a kiddush Friday night;
And Zeide, oh, my Zeide,
How I love him so,
And Zeide used to teach me wrong from right.

His eyes lit up when he would teach me Torah,
He taught me every line so carefully.
He spoke about our slavery in Egypt,
And how G-d took us out to make us free.

But winter went by,
Summer came along,
I went to camp to run and play.
And when I got back home, They said, “Zaide’s gone,”
And all his books were packed And stored away.

I don’t know how or why it came to be,
It happened slowly over so many years,
We just stopped being Jewish
like my Zeide was,
And no one cared enough to shed a tear.

Chorus

But many winters went by,
And many summers came along,
And now my children sit in front of me.
And who will be the Zeide of my children,
Who will be their Zeide, if not me?
Who will be the Zaides of our children,
Who will be their Zaides, if not we?

5 Comments:

Blogger Uri Cohen said...

You're in luck! There's a sound file online of the complete song "My Zaidy," sung by Cantor David Propis:
http://www.jewishmusic.com//sound/yddpr10d_10.rm

The first minute and a half of the original version, by Megama Duo (Moshe Yess and Shalom Levine), is online at http://www.jewishjukebox.com/products/chassidic_music/896.asp

That second site also sells the album "The Greatest Hits of Megama... Plus!" for $7.24 (CD) or $4.74 (cassette).

All The Best,
Uri Cohen

3:58 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this song is called my Zeydi

performed by a group called Megama

available on cd from

jewishjukebox.com
i ordered the greatest hits $5.80
pretty good value.
good luck

Barry from Manchester England

6:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi my Name is shlomo and I live in Israel
I am making a video for my fathers 70th Bday and I am too looking for a recording of the song
"My zaidy" by Megama - do you happen to have it - would you be willing to email me a copy
thanks
shlomo
my email: shlomobiz@gmail.com

3:15 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone have the chords to the song My Zaide?

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://mosheyess.ca/music-by-moshe-yess/my-zadie-song

8:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home